Community Sports Program
The Community Sports Program (CSP) works with marginalised girls and boys from various slum settlements of Bhubaneswar city in the state of Odisha in Eastern India to enable their fundamental right to play.
What is the purpose of the project?
The CSP utilises a multi-activity, multi-sport approach to improve young people's physical literacy and socio-emotional well-being in order to empower them to become confident and competent leaders in their own communities.
Some of the critical success factors of the CSP include:
(1) Structured and goal-oriented program, adapted to local needs and context.
(2) Trained facilitators able to effectively deliver sport and physical activity with young people, especially girls, in mixed-gender groups.
(3) Extensive engagement with key community stakeholders, including parents, schools and teachers.
What were the enablers that proved successful in your project?
(1) Inability of girls to participate in organised sport and physical activity on a regular basis.
(2) Lack of opportunities for young people, especially girls, to develop physical literacy and soft skills.
(3) Lack of know-how and resources of low-income, community-based schools to provide sports/ physical education programs to their students.
What impact did your project have?
(1) Young people, especially girls, develop soft skills and learn important values while growing in confidence and building resilience.
(2) Girls and boys develop positive relationships based on mutual respect, equality, and friendship.
(3) Increased understanding of the benefits of sports participation of young people amongst key stakeholders in the community.
What were the outcomes for women?
(1) Girls gain access to regular sport and physical activity, hence breaking stereotypes around their participation in outdoor sports and in public life.
(2) Increased understanding of boys, parents and schools about the importance/ benefits of enabling the participation of girls in sport and physical activity.
(3) Girls are empowered to become role models within their families and communities, especially in encouraging other girls to participate in sport and physical activity.
Downloads & Resource Files
Download Insight assets
- Community Sports Program.pdf
- csp2.jpeg 1.4MB JPEG
- Archita Rout - VSK Case Study - April 2019.pdf 360KB PDF
- CSP Evaluation Report 2020-21 - Final.pdf 3.8MB PDF
- Laxmipriya Acharya - Case Study - May 2020.pdf 680KB PDF
- Subhashree Swain - Satya Sai School - Oct 2017.pdf 590KB PDF
- Swetashree Sethi - VSK (Patrapada) - February 2018.pdf 320KB PDF
- Football 490KB JPEG
- Full team 980KB JPEG
- Vollyball 910KB JPEG
- Handball 480KB PNG